The Bach Family Circle: Music for Oboe and Harpsichord This disc takes as its starting point and inspiration the Capriccio on the Departure of a Beloved Brother. What might Johann Jacob Bach (1682-1722) have played if he had remained in the Bach family circle? What might Johann Sebastian, his sons and colleagues (like GP Telemann, godfather to CPE Bach) have conceived for him? The works are performed on period instruments. This is not a reconstruction of a lost repertoire but an exploration of a hypothetical, imaginary tonal persona...the voice of the lost Bach oboe. It is both the utterance of the lament of the brother leaving his family circle, and the projection of his voice into the voice that his absence produces.
1. -4. Sonata in g minor BWV 1035 JS Bach
2. -10 Capriccio sopra la lontananza del suo fratello dilettissimo, BWV 992 JS Bach
3. -13 Sonata in g minor, JS Bach
4. -18 Methodische Sonata no.4, GP Telemann
5. -21 "Hobo Solo", CPE Bach